(October 6, 2016) – At the moment it looks like New England is safe but Hurricane Matthew apparently has it in for Florida and the Carolinas.
Broadcasters are at their best when Mother Nature is at her worst. We perform a valuable service that other media can’t provide because radio and TV stations are able to localize the situation with up-to-the-minute information from the people who make local decisions.
Here are some general resources to help you help your listeners:
- FCC Operations Center – 202-418-1122 | e-mail
- Ready NH.gov
- American Red Cross | Facebook | Twitter
- National Weather Service, Gray, Maine | Facebook | Twitter
- NH State Police Facebook | Twitter
- NH Homeland Security & Emergency Management
- State of NH website
- Eversource NH
- NH Electric Cooperative
- Liberty Utilities
It’s also worth reading this column by Scott R. Flick, one of NHAB’s attorneys at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP.
In particular check out “A Guide for Television Stations on Airing Captions and Audible Crawls in an Emergency.”