• Anchors newscasts and reports on interesting news stories.
• Establishes relationship with listeners by providing news coverage to targeted demographic audience.
• Interviews newsmakers.
• While you may report on weather or traffic at times, the primary role will be news coverage.
• Adheres to all guidelines, policies and procedures of the station, iHeatMedia, the FCC and all other federal, state and local laws, including policies and procedures regarding indecency and obscenity.
• Prepares for an air shift using creativity, imagination and exercise of independent professional judgment in writing, producing, interviewing, taping or broadcasting on-air material.
• Ensures logged commercials, promotions and any other programming essential to the stations operation are aired.
• Participates in required station Programming, Promotions, and Sales staff meetings and events.
• Makes regular approved appearances at station events; serves as ambassador for the radio station(s) when out in public.
• Executes only the interviews and events on air that are approved by Program Director/News Director; follows designated format.
• Researches and gains knowledge of subject matter covered in newscasts.
• Finalizes content using digital audio editing software.
• Prepares written content, visual images, audio material and video footage for websites, blogs, or other social media platforms.
• Checks studio equipment for proper functioning and notifies Engineering of technical malfunctions affecting quality of the broadcast.
• Handles emergency inserts (e.g. news updates and breaking stories, emergencies, alert system tests, etc.); is on call for possible disasters, breaking news, or acts of nature.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and social networking.
• Proficient in media production and broadcast systems; familiarity with NexGen, Adobe Audition, NewsBoss a plus.
• Strong knowledge of all FCC rules and regulations.
• Socially informed and perceptive; up-to-date and in tune daily with the local and national trends and/or specialized knowledge of topics/events related to current events/news.
• Demonstrated upbeat personality, informative, entertaining and engaging on the air; able to relate to station audience.
• Pleasant, charismatic and well-controlled voice; excellent pronunciation.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and editing skills; proficient in grammar.
• Demonstrated creativity and imagination.
• Able to maintain composure when faced with difficult situations and personalities.
• Can work well in a team environment; collaborative.
• Able to adapt to changes in schedules and maintain composure in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines.
• 3+ years of on-air radio experience required
• Experience in written/broadcast news strongly suggested
• Audio demo of on-air interviews, commentary, announcements, etc.
Education: 4-year college degree, preferably in Communications or Broadcast Journalism
Certifications: None required
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.