New Hampshire Public Radio (NHPR) is seeking a curious, innovative and thoughtful journalist to join our newsroom as a general assignment reporter. This job will be at the center of our newsroom and daily news coverage. On any given day, you may be assigned to cover a State House hearing, a protest, a campaign rally, or a courtroom trial. But you’ll also be encouraged to pitch your own ideas -- for both daily coverage as well as enterprise reporting -- and develop a specialty that reflects your interests and the coverage needs of the community. That may range from criminal justice reform to housing to rural communities to higher education, or something else. While we’re looking for someone ready to jump on breaking news, we don’t rush to cover every story or prioritize speed at the expense of nuance or depth. We’re looking for someone with a passion for creative storytelling in multiple media, and exploring unexpected stories that touch our audience and make an impact. Collaboration is also key to how we work, so we’re looking for someone who loves teaming up with others. NHPR is committed to mentoring our journalists, including candidates from untraditional professional backgrounds, and helping them develop as journalists and leaders.
The position reports to our Senior News Editor and is based in our newsroom in Concord, NH, with flexibility to work remotely some days per week.
· Gather, write and produce news reports for on-air broadcast and digital distribution.
· Use initiative and source development to develop both daily news and enterprise reporting.
· Participate in newsroom-wide projects, including multi-part series and digital products, with a focus on journalism and storytelling that engages a new, diverse audience.
· Work varied shifts to meet news coverage demands, including breaking news and other appropriate coverage reasons.
· Engage with communities around the state to deepen understanding of their beat and help meet the information needs of local residents.
· Utilize social media to disseminate news to the NHPR audience and beyond.
· Participate in station fundraising, live appearances and sponsorship activities.
· Seek professional development opportunities, with support of managers, and take initiative to learn new skills in reporting, on-air presentation and digital news production.
We believe a strong newsroom includes journalists from a range of backgrounds, with different skills, experiences and passions. If you don’t meet every qualification we’ve outlined but are intrigued by this position and feel you could be a good fit, we’d still love to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
· One to three years of reporting experience in broadcast, print or digital journalism.
· One year of broadcast journalism, with radio script writing experience.
· Excellent writing and organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
· Demonstrated news judgment in recognizing the relative importance of a news story and in developing stories.
· Demonstrated success building trust with sources to produce original news coverage.
· Ability to develop creative approaches to human interest coverage and feature stories.
· Passion and intuition for radio, a keen eye and ear for media trends and audience needs.
· Technologically versatile with willingness to expand skills. Multimedia skills, including experience in producing or editing data visualizations, video or other digital media, as well as audio.
· Ability to represent NHPR standards and code of ethics in the course of interviewing, reporting and use of social media.
· Proficiency in a language other than English.
· B.A. or relevant experience.
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a full time, exempt position and the salary range for this role is $40,200 to $48,199 annually.
NHPR offers a generous benefits package that includes health and dental insurance; company-paid short and long term disability; flexible spending accounts; 403(b) savings plan with a company match and a free on-site fitness center. Employees are entitled to three weeks of vacation time and twelve paid holidays, as well as paid sick and parental leave.
This position is part of a bargaining unit and terms of employment are subject to the outcome of collective bargaining which is ongoing.
Things to Know About Us:
NHPR is the state's foremost news organization, focused on producing accountability journalism and engaging deeply with the diverse communities and people of the Granite State. For 40 years, NHPR has produced incisive local news on the radio and emerging audio platforms, complementing the national and global reporting of our partners at NPR. We make nationally prominent podcasts - including Bear Brook, Outside/In, Civics 101 and Document - and have a fast-growing footprint in digital and social media.
In our leaders - and across the organization - we seek people who are approachable, collaborative, empathetic, optimistic, and solution-minded. Together, we are building a culture based on earned trust, transparency, equity and inclusion. We hold ourselves accountable to our goals and our values. We have publicly stated our commitment to enhancing the diversity of our staff and our journalism. NHPR is intent on being public radio for all of New Hampshire, and to expanding our audience and advancing our mission and vision by deepening our engagement with diverse people and communities across the state and beyond our borders.
The health and safety of our employees, their families and the community at large is a high priority for NHPR. Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required for employment. Individuals must be fully up-to-date with their vaccinations no later than their start date. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely-held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodation where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship pursuant to applicable law.
*Per the CDC: A person is up to date with their COVID-19 vaccination if they have received all recommended doses in the primary series and one booster when eligible.
Please apply on the job opportunities page of our website, NHPR.org, or through this link: https://nhpr.applicantpro.com/jobs/2528629.html
· Include a Resume and Cover Letter
NHPR is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to a diverse and dynamic workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
NHPR encourages people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply, particularly Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC); those who are first in their family to attend college; adults without a college degree; LGBTQIA+ community; and people from low-income backgrounds.