WCVB has an opening for a self-motivated individual who wants to win each day. We are seeking an Assignment Editor with the ability to capture the essence of what’s happening in the field, and then bring it vividly into the homes of our viewers. The successful candidate will have a take charge attitude when it comes to breaking news. We are looking for a smart assignment editor who finds distinctive enterprise stories and oversees news coverage that sets us apart. We want a newsroom leader who takes the lead on breaking news.
- Listen to multiple police scanners which cover more than a dozen agencies throughout our market—must have great “scanner ears.”
- Gather and organize press releases, emails, phone calls and viewer tips. Take initiative and decide which of the above will yield compelling content for newscasts.
- Assist news management with content gathering and planning.
- Assist producers, digital editors and reporters with story gathering.
- Keep track of crews in the field and maintain communication with them.
- Furnish content and post it to all digital platforms—including but not limited to sending push alerts, Twitter and Facebook posts.
- Must have experience listening to police scanners.
- Must have advanced knowledge of digital platforms, especially social media. Successful candidate will be required to monitor multiple social media accounts in order to gather content and communicate with news makers.
- Either have a working knowledge of FTP or an ability to learn how to FTP video to other stations.
Familiar with local newsgathering technology and terminology.
- Must be highly organized.
- Have the ability to work multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to foster and maintain professional working relationships with newsmakers.
- Have the ability to gather information from multiple sources simultaneously and quickly push it out to anchors, reporters, producers and digital editors.
- Must have a sense of urgency and be able to thrive in a high pressure breaking news and weather environment.
- Be able to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Willing to work a variety of shifts including weekends and nights.
- College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field
- Military training and experience in related field will be considered
Posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Stations: All newly registered employers must be approved by the NHAB staff before being allowed to post open positions. If you do not receive prompt acceptance, please call 603-232-0277 so we can expedite the process. All job postings and resumes will be listed on the NHAB Job Bank for a period of 60 days. Should a job posting need to be listed for an extended period of time, please contact the NHAB prior to the 60-day deadline or re-post the job using your Employer Admin Panel. Likewise, please remove filled positions from this list.
Job Seekers: Resume information remains on our site indefinitely. Having your resume posted on your site means that you are actively looking for employment. Registered employers frequently search through resume submissions looking for new hires. If you are not actively looking for a new job, please remove your resume information from the listings. If you need assistance removing your information, please call 603-232-0277.
Scholarships: NHAB offers scholarships each year for students who are permanent residents of New Hampshire and plan to, or are, enrolled at an accredited institution of higher learning. The NHAB Broadcaster Scholarship Program awards $2,500 scholarships to students pursuing a career in over-the-air broadcasting. In addition, a $5,000 is awarded in honor of the former President of the NHAB, Al Sprague. Click here for information.
Virtual Job Fairs: NHAB also conducts quarterly online job fairs to match job applicants with stations seeking to hire. Click here for more information.
Careers Page: The National Alliance of State Broadcasters Associations maintains a helpful Careers Page. Click here for more information.
NAB Education Foundation: The National Association of Broadcasters Education Foundation is dedicated to reinforcing the future of broadcasting through a commitment to education and to advancing excellence in the diversity and community service efforts of our industry. The foundation offers a number of career/professional development programs and initiatives to achieve this mission.